Considered to be one of the most interesting buildings in the city from the Renaissance period towards the late 15th century, today the historical residence of the noble Saraceni family is home to the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna.
The architectural scheme of the building is modulated according to a strict rhythmic order, in which the terraccotta ornamentation that decorates the windows and the cornice plays an important role.
Thus the façade mixes the solid Bolognese tradition with the innovative Florentine architectural language.
The exhibition area on the ground floor is used to house art exhibitions and other cultural events.
The Building was constructed in the early years of the 16th century, probably by Antonio Saraceni, a noble Bolognese and occasionally a member of the senate from 1468 to 1502.
The edifice was built on the foundations of a house that belonged to the Clarissimi family since the 13th century. In fact, a tombstone in the adjacent alley San Damiano recalls the tower of Alberto Clarissimi, transformed in 1469 into the current turret but still recognizable.
As a magnificent and important residence, Palazzo Saraceni was chosen, after the expulsion of the Bentivoglio family in 1510, as the most appropriate location to host two Venetian ambassadors accompanying Pope Giulio II.
In 1930, the building was passed down to the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio in Bologna, that promoted its extensive and articulated restoration project in 2001.